Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Whats in a KISS

One of my very dear friends had a break up recently. After the so intimate three year long relationship, she decided to not let things bother her and move on. Trying to achieve her aims in the same respect, today she introduced me to her new boyfriend. A nice, warm, handsome and smiling guy stood there waiting for us. As we approached near, he bent forward and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Normally she would have kissed him back. But she stood there smiling, and then introduced me to him saying "rads this is Gaurav....Gaurav this is rads"...Confused by the still not-so-rude act she had committed, all I could do was smile. I couldn't help but wonder why she wanted to introduce him to me when she isn't feeling that close to him. But being happy for my friend, I walked along with them to a small but good eating joint. We placed orders for our drinks and he set his eyes back on her, as he was doing for the last 20 mins we had met. I could see how much attracted he was to her. Then while talking about his work interests and all, (also mentioning how she was keeping his mind off work), he leaned closer to her and kissed her lips. Oh man. He remained there for like 2 mins and she sat still. I noticed closely if there was any movement on her lips. But no. There was none. This time he moved away with a disgusted look. Thankfully the drinks arrived and I was allowed to drift my attention. Although he seemed nice and good on paper, there was no spark from her. His interest was over-flowing from everywhere and she sat there like there was no other choice.

It was then I realised how stuck she felt. She likes this guy really a lot but what is even more important than liking is the “love factor”. How could have I been so blind not to see that what was missing there was love. Kissing is a genuine expression of attraction. But also thinking about Gaurav, how humiliated he must have felt by not getting kissed back. After we were thru with the “formal” introduction of her boyfriend and me, I suggested I’ll push off while they could enjoy amongst themselves. But things had changed after the “one person kissing scene”. He came up with an excuse to just do way with us, at least at that time. So after all this drama, I also realised one BIG BIG fact that we usually overlook. By calling ourselves good kissers, we feel proud, at least it’s a positive thing if you are a guy. But what is even more important, is the recognition of that kiss. I mean imagine the atrocity of kissing your lover and being unwelcomed by even an more unwelcoming mouth. Moral of the story, if you don’t like the guy anyways and he kisses you, at least open up and kiss him back once. No need to make him feel like shit right?

No comments: