Saturday, August 2, 2008

Scents of life [A page from my daily diary]

To note: The description below is a true-life experience, only it happened a year ago.

This would be understood well by people who have worked or even visited government offices in India. Although, I do not work in a government office, my company works on the exact same pattern. Men must know the difference between a woman wearing lipstick and a man wearing it. Red coloured lips with even bloodier teeth and the indescribable scent that they give every time they open their mouth is too much for ‘clean’ people like me to handle.

I sometimes feel offended even if they utter one word from their bloody mouth. But mostly, I thank God I am not a part of them. Their responsibility factor is too high and they ensure to reach office never before 9:40 only to leave as soon as it is 5:30. ‘What a life they have’, I say when I see them coming after me in the morning and leaving before I do.

The day passes by with the best of these scents and then comes a part when you need to put your stomachs to rest. Their female counterparts seem to be forgetful to flush; and I don’t understand why is it me who is left to dust.... It is now seven days, since I have been to my office rest room as I am afraid I might encounter the dirty filthy ghost.

I know I am good at my job but I can't help but wonder, is it me who is delicate or them just plain careless? I just hope some day I too can put my stomach to rest.

The office furniture has also earned a mention and I must tell you that in the last four months of my working here, I have changed 6 chairs and 3 computer tables. For those of you who think I may be too heavy or too muscular to handle furniture right, people be aware, I am just 105 pounds.

Scents of my work life don’t evaporate here; there is more to groan about. My boss is a young man who has studied abroad and dresses up fine. He talks really sweetly but is mean to personalities like mine. Work and making best of opportunities is something he is allergic to, instead what he prefers are meaningless strategies and meetings there is no end to. Analysing a writer’s capacity is too heavy for him, but still what can I do, as he is the only son of the Chairman.

As I get ready to smell the discomfort in work and the actual office stench, I am so happy in this night as there are a few hours for me to breathe and to stretch.

No comments: